The boss of Condor Ferries has issued a statement amid rumours that have been circulating about the company’s financial position.
In the brief statement, CEO John Napton says:
“Condor has been working with its stakeholders to overcome a temporary but challenging time.
We are confident that this is very near to being resolved and will have no impact on our services now or in the long term.”
Further correspondence to us said ‘Condor Ferries is not in administration.’
The assurance follows recent news of a planned near 19% rise in Condor’s freight fees.
It said it had ‘no choice’ but to pass on the higher operating costs it is facing, having absorbed them as much as possible for the past three years
Speaking to us earlier this month, Jersey’s Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Murray Norton said the ferry company must feel it’s being ‘squeezed from all angles’.
Before today’s statement from Condor, the governments in both Guernsey and Jersey announced berthing trails this weekend of a 163-metre cargo ship.
They say it the tests are part of ‘contingency plans’ for a number of ‘possible risks’ which include supply links.
Condor’s passenger services for Saturday (16 Dec) have been rescheduled as a result of the Finalandia DFDS Seaways vessel being in St Helier and St Peter Port harbours.
We have asked the governments of Jersey and Guernsey for comment.